How to apply for a Medical Alert Assistance Dog
Do I meet the eligibility criteria?
Because of the impact of the coronavirus on our work we have suspended new applications for a Medical Alert Assistance Dog until January 2022.
If you think that you would benefit from a Medical Alert Assistance Dog we still want to hear from you. This includes if you are interested in our applicant own dog programme and your dog is between 6 and 18 months’ old and showing signs of alerting you.
To register your interest in a Medical Alert Assistance Dog please carefully read the eligibility criteria and if you meet them follow the link at the end to complete the expression of interest form.
Please note, you are not eligible if you:
- Have Type 1 diabetes and are using a glucose sensor (such as Dexcom, Medtronic and Libre)
- Have epilepsy, autism, dementia or mental health issue and this is the main reason for requiring a Medical Alert Assistance Dog
- Were diagnosed with the medical condition less than 12 months ago
- Are under 5 years old or over 75 years
- Smoke or someone in your household smokes
- Already have more than 2 dogs living with you.
We keep our eligibility criteria under regular review, and they may change in future.
Please be aware that we are not able to provide documents or assist with taking dogs on flights, unless the dog is an accredited Medical Alert Assistance Dog, via our training programme. Please see below information about applying to us, including criteria for Applicant Owned Dog Training.
Once you have completed the form we will then be in touch to let you know if you will be eligible when applications reopen.